Preposition practice sets with solution
In this article, we are sharing some important Prepositions: English Grammer for SSC CGL. It is very important to have an understanding of the “Usage of Prepositions” in English Grammar.
Preposition is the most confusing but interesting part of English grammar. So Here, we are trying to explain such confusing pairs among/between, amongst/among in/into etc. It will be helpful for the students preparing for any competitive exam like SSC CGL, CHSL & other competitive exam etc.
Choose the right word for the blank spaces.
1) The boss didn’t punish him for coming late. He must be_____ his good books.
2) Do you take pride_____ your appearance?
3) I tripped ______ the cat and fell downstairs.
4) He is almost dying; I am afraid he is______ his last legs.
5) My father was_______ a bad temper as he had just fought with mother in the kitchen.
6) There is some dispute_______ the property as the owner died without making a will.
7) The film “Three Ediots” was based______ an engineer’s real life experiences.
8) I am a bit weak _____science subjects but I am trying to improve.
9) Looking forward______ seeing you soon at the meeting.
10) There was a footpath that went _________the road till the railway station.
11) After you get______ the bus walk down the street on the left till the church.
12) ________the time I reached the examination hall I was half an hour late.
13) We drove______ Uttarakhand, UP and Bengal to reach the international border.
14) Earlier people wasted a lot of time_____ queuing up to pay bills.
15) I had not slept or eaten anything properly_______ two days.
16) I can’t even think_____travelling by any other way except my own car.
17) I think the bank should be open_______ now.
18) I have never faced such a complicated problem______ all my life as this one.
19) He trembled_________ fear when the examiner caught him cheating.
20) The present generation has a thirst_________ success and a never give up attitude.
21) At the last minute Sri Lanka decided to withdraw_________ the contest to protest against the terrorist attacks.
22) I asked my friend to wait______ the station for me in case I did not reach in time.
23) The selection panel needs time to think_________ the proposal made by the awards committee.
24) He comforted me by saying that we would surely tide______ the crisis.
25) I am very thankful_______ to Mr Sharma for having put in a few words for me which helped me to get this job.
26) My business is suffering as we are badly wanting_______ funds.
27) The interviewer declared that he was unfit________ the job as he was lacking________ communication skills.
A) for; in
B) of ; with
C) about; into
D) in; at
28) He left medicine in between and decided to take ________ music for higher studies as that was his real passion.
29) The results______ the “Clean India” campaign will be visible only after two years.
30) He had a longing_______ an ice cream after dinner so went out to have one.
1) In someone’s good books is an idiom.If you are in someone’s good books it means he thinks favourably about you.
2) pride in ( We take pride in something when we feel nice about it and it is something positive.Eg take pride in being an Indian.)
3) tripped over.(When something goes from one end to the other in motion we use the word over.Eg He jumped over the fence.)
4) On his last legs is an idiom which means that about to come to an end
5) In a bad temper (Generally with state of mind in is used eg.in a bad mood,in a good mood,in a confused state,in a dilemma, in a cheerful mood etc)
6) Dispute over is used when there is a disagreement over something.
eg There was a dispute over the boundary line.
7) Based on something.eg based on research/real life experiences/his narration etc.
8) Weak in something (mathematics,learning, science subjects)
9) Looking forward to is a phrase.
10) Along is used when two things go together over a specific distance.
11) Get off : When you leave a bus or train, you say that you get off.
12) By the time
13) Through means over the total distance/all the way.
15) For total time for is used.
20) Thirst for something (eg thirst for knowledge,success etc)
23) Think over. ( We generally think over a proposal,offer etc.)
24) Tide over (means overcome)
26) Wanting in something means that it is lacking( wanting in manners,knowledge, funds,resources etc)
For More Articles You Can Visit On Below Links:
Now Get All Notifications And Updates In Your E-mail Account Just Enter Your E-mail Address Below And Verify Your Account To Get More Updates :