How to improve Vocabulary, Vocabulary Practice for SSC CGL
How to improve Vocabulary
- Make reading the newspaper a daily ritual. You may be comfortable
reading a particular section but make an effort to read different articles on every page. The editorial page is highly recommended not only for vocabulary but also for structuring and presenting thought.
2. It is not surprising that those who read a lot develop a good vocabulary.
Make it a habit to read a new book every fifteen days. You can consider becoming a member of the local library. Make a list of words that are new to you and look up their meanings in the dictionary.
- Watching English movies and television shows and news channels is important for improving English and learning new English words. The best part about watching English videos is that you can learn the correct pronunciation as well.You should also be able to learn the correct usage of the word.
- Vocabulary cards are used by students who are trying to learn many
words in a short period of time. You can make your own cards by writing the
word on one side and the meaning on the other side of a square piece of paper. In your free time, it is a convenient tool to learn new words.
- The internet is an unlimited resource for reading material. Pick up a topic of
your choice and search for articles about it. You will come across plenty of
material to read which you might find interesting, and importantly, will also
introduce you to new words. Be sure to look them up in a dictionary.
- The best way to ensure that you never forget the new words you learn is to
start using them in your day-to-day conversation. Do not try to force them
into a conversation but do use them if you think they are appropriate.
- Most dictionaries provide us with pronunciations of words using phonetic
symbols. It is important to learn the sounds that correspond to these phonetic
symbols, in order to become comfortable pronouncing new words.
- Learning in groups is always more fun. If you have friends who also want to
improve their vocabulary, then you can form a group and share new words
with each other. You can meet at regular interval and measure your progress.
9. Root words are words from which words grow with the addition
of prefixes and suffixes. For eg. Even the word vocabulary is derived from
the Latin root word voc which means ‘word’ or ‘name’. Other words like
advocacy, vocal and vociferous are also derived from the same root word.
Hence, if you can recognize some root words, you will get a fair idea of many
derived words. A list of common root words is available here.
10. While it is important to read and learn new words, it is equally important
to revise what you have learnt. Fix a particular day of the week to revise all
the words you have learnt in that week and add them to your daily
Select the right word to fill in the blank space.
a. blighted b. confutation
c. ravenous d.ostentatious2. The movie offended many of the parents of its younger viewers by
including unnecessary ______ in the dialogue.
a. vulgarity b.verbosity
c. vocalizations d.garishness
they stopped inviting him to their functions.
a. insentient b.magisterial
c. reparation d.restorative4. Shailesh is always ______ about showing up for work because he
feels that tardiness is a sign of irresponsibility.
a. legible b.tolerable
c. punctual d.literal5. Chandu would ______ his little sister into an argument by teasing
her and calling her names.
a. advocate b.provoke
c. perforate d.expunge
6. The dress Anu wore ______ with small, glassy beads, creating a
a. titillated b.reiterated
c. scintillated d.enthralled7. Being able to afford this luxury car will ______ getting a better paying job.
a. maximize c recombination
c. reiterate d.necessitate8. Levina unknowingly ______ the thief by holding open the elevator
doors and ensuring his escape.
a. coerced b.proclaimed
c. abetted d.sanctioned9. Shakespeare, a(n) ______ writer, entertained audiences by writing
many tragic and comic plays.
a. numeric b.obstinate
c. dutiful d.prolific10. I had the ______ experience of sitting next to an over-talkative
passenger on my flight home from Dubai.
a. satisfactory b.commendable
c. annoying d.acute
11. Prince Phillip had to choose: marry the woman he loved and ______
his right to the throne, or marry Lady Fiona and inherit the crown.
a. reprimand b.upbraid
c. abdicate d.extol
12. If you will not do your work of your own ______, I have no choice
but to penalize you if it is not done on time.
a. predilection b.coercion
c. excursion d.volition13. After lying in the sink for several days, the dirty, food-encrusted
dishes became ______.
a. malodorous b.prevalent
c. imposing d.perforated14. Geeta soon discovered the source of the ______ smell in the room:
a week-old sandwich that one of the children had hidden in
a. wierd b.fastidious
c. clandestine d.laconic15. After making ______ remarks to the President, the reporter was
not invited to return to the White House press room.
a. hospitable b.itinerant
c. enterprising d.irreverent
16. With her ______ eyesight, Trisha spotted a pair of deer on the
hillside and she reduced the speed of her car.
a. inferior b.keen
c. impressionable d.ductile17. With a(n) ______ grin, the boy quickly slipped the candy into his
pocket without his mother’s knowledge.
a. jaundiced b.nefarious
c. stereotypical d.sentimental18. Her ______ display of tears at work did not impress her new boss,
who felt she should try to control her emotions.
a. excessive b.meritorious
c. precarious d.plausible19. John argued, “If you know about a crime but don’t report it, you
are ______ in that crime because you allowed it to happen.”
a. acquitted b.steadfast
c. tenuous d.accomplice20. The authorities, fearing a ______ of their power, called for a
military state in the hopes of restoring order.
a. subversion b.premonition
c. predilection d.infusion21. The story’s bitter hero felt such great ______ for all of the other
characters that as a result, his life was very lonely and he died alone.
a. insurgence b.malevolence
c. reciprocation d.declamation22. It is difficult to believe that charging 20% on an outstanding credit
card balance isn’t ______!
a. bankruptcy b.usury
c. novice d.kleptomania23. The ______ weather patterns of the tropical island meant tourists
had to carry both umbrellas and sunglasses.
a. impertinent b.supplicant
c. unpredictable d.illustrative24. Wedding ceremonies often include the exchange of ______ rings
to symbolize the couple’s promises to each other.
a.acrimonious b. plaintive
attended by vastly different and sometimes bizarre personalities.
a. indispensable b.indiscriminate
c. commensurate d.propulsiveAnswers
1. c. Ravenous(adj.) means extremely hungry.
2. a. Vulgarity(n.) means offensive speech or conduct.
3. b.Magisterial(adj.) means overbearing or offensively self-assured.
4. c. Punctual(adj.) means arriving exactly on time.
5. b.To provoke(v.) is to incite anger or resentment; to call forth a
feeling or action.
6. c. To scintillate(v.) means to emit or send forth sparks or little
flashes of light, creating a shimmering effect; to sparkle.
7. d.To necessitate(v.) means to make necessary, especially as a result.
8. c. To abet(v.) means to assist, encourage, urge, or aid, usually an
act of wrongdoing.
9. d.Prolific(adj.) means abundantly creative.
10. c. annoying(adj.) means irritating, annoying, or exasperating.
11. c. To abdicate(v.) means to formally relinquish or surrender power,
office, or responsibility.
12. d.Volition(n.) means accord; an act or exercise of will.
13. a. Malodorous(adj.) means having a foul-smelling odour.
14. a.wired(adj.) means strange.
15. d.Irreverent(adj.) means lacking respect or seriousness; not
16. b.Keen(adj.) means being extremely sensitive or responsive;
having strength of perception.
17. b.Nefarious(adj.) means wicked, vicious, or evil.
18. a. Excessive (adj) means too much.
19. d.accomplice(adj.) means participating in or associated with a
questionable act or a crime.
20. a. Subversion(n.) means an overthrow, as from the foundation.
21. b.Malevolence(n.) means ill will or malice toward others; hate.
22. b.Usury(n.) is the lending of money at exorbitant interest rates.
23. C unpredictable(adj.) means continually changing or quickly
24. d.Votive(adj.) means dedicated by a vow.
25. b.Indiscriminate(adj.) means not discriminating or choosing
randomly; haphazard; without distinction
For More Articles You Can Visit On Below Links :
Now Get All Notifications And Updates In Your E-mail Account Just Enter Your E-mail Address Below And Verify Your Account To Get More Updates :