How to attempt Close Test : English Improvement Series
How to attempt Close Test : English Improvement Series
Close test in comparison to fill in the blanks
Cloze test forms an integral part of the English language in Tier 2 Exam.It is different from the sentence completion section.In sentence completion we have to fill in the blank only in one sentence. But
in Cloze Test the blanks in a whole passage have to be filled.
Cloze Test Tips
- Close test is a passage so the sentences are logically connected to each other.
- Read the whole passage first to get the background of the cloze test.
- Keep this background in mind while attempting it will give you clues to the right answer.
- If you are not sure of the answer follow the elimination method.
Cloze test technique 1: Take any one of the options given and check if it fits in structure.If It doesn’t fit,remove it.
Close test technique 2: Check if it fits in with the meaning and the background.If it doesn’t eliminate it.
Close test technique 3: Apply your knowledge about the usage of the word and how it is used in sentences. For an eg the word tan is used with reference to the sun.
Close test technique 4: Try to find a clue. Sometimes the clue is given in the preceding or next sentence. Or sometimes the clue can be given many sentences away.
No attempt the following close tests.
Close Test 1
Our body can be kept healthy by adopting breathing techniques that use the respiratory system to its maximum potential, letting in__(1)oxygen(2)the body as possible while removing as much _(3)_carbon di oxide as possible.The most effective is the total breathe control.Practice it(4)it becomes second nature.(5)that happens ,you(6)_find that you are less tired.
1 A) as much B) as little as C) into D) free
2 A) onto B) through C) into D) of
3 A) useful B) necessary C) waste D) important
4 A) as soon as B) until C) after D) across
5 A) then B) when C) where D) how
6 A) can B) should C) must D) could
On reading the close test we get the background that it is about keeping healthy by breathing properly.
1) A (as much as is the correct answer.As the sentence reads maximum potential so as little as get eliminated. Into can’t be used as it will come preceded by in.)
2) C (Into will be used. Onto is used in when there is a kind of movement for an eg He jumped onto the horse and galloped away.
3) C (Carbon di oxide of the body is a waste that has to be removed.The word removing gives a clue)
4) B (Until….until is used in the sense of upto a particular time/event.eg We will wait until he comes)
5) B (When)
CLOSE TEST 2
Whenever I_(1)at the moon my heart(2)with joy. I wish I had(3)to fly upto the moon.I know if I (4)to become an(5) I would be able to go to the moon.Special equipment and a(6)training are required to go to the moon.I would have to wear a special(7)for(8).My space shuttle would be equipped with(9)_ cameras and other scientific__(10)_.
1) A) Looked B) Saw C) Viewed D) Gaze
2) A) fills B) Filled C) Field D) Feels
3) A) hands B) wings C) legs D) feelers
4) A) grow up B) is growing C) have grown D) has grown
5) A) astrology B) astronomy C) astronaut D) aristocrat
6) A) special B) ordinary C) common D) Natural
7) A) trousers B) Spacecraft C) Space suit D) Space dress
8) A) Breadth B) Breathing C) Bathing D) Breathe
9) A) Sensitive B) Touchy C) Primitive D) Decorative
10) A) accessory B) Things C) Intuition D) Gadgets
Answers with explanations.
1 D (The passage is in present tense and it is a wish so option d is correct.All the other options are in the past tense.And with the verb gaze generally the preposition at follows.
2 A( fills (use simple present tense)
3 B (Wings (very simple as the sentence has a clue “to fly”)
4 A( grow up)
5 C (astronaut is a person who travels into space)
8 B (the preposition for is used here it will be followed by verb+ing so breathing is the correct option)
NOW TEST YOURSELF
Cloze test (Practice tests)
Close test 1
Tennis is a game that gives one plenty of exercise.It develops (1) of eye and limb and_(2)the brain too into(3).A few sets of tennis keeps one physically and(4)_ fit.But for the indoors chess is the queen of games.People say that chess is a_(5)_ game because only two can play.
1) A) Movement B) swiftness C) quickness D) agility
2) A) commands B) asks C) signals D) calls
3) A) response B) play C) work D) action
4) A) intellectually B) mentally C) emotionally D) logically
5) A) selfish B) mean C) carefree D) careless
Close Test 2
One cold inter afternoon the postman was slowly pushing his bicycle up the hill that led out to the village.He as walking very carefully because there was a lot of ice on the ground.He had only one more letter to deliver.This was for an_(1)lady who had lived at the(2)of the hill.Everyone called(3)_ “grandmother”.She had lived alone (4)_sinec her daughter had emigrated to Australia many years before.She(5)_used to invite the postman for a cup of tea whenever he took her a letter and _(6)_him about her two grandchildren in Australia whom she had never seen.
1) A) ancient B) Important C) old D) olderly
2) A) foot B) top C) end D) peak
3) A) her B) the woman C) the lady D) the grandmother
4) A) even B) ever C) about D) until
5) A) always B) rarely C) frequently D) some time
6) A) tell B) suggest C) inform D) stated
Close test 3
Many of us believe that science is something modern_(1)the truth is that(2)has been using science for _(3) a very long time.However it has (4)_a greater effect on human lives in the last twenty five _(5)_thirty years than in the hundreds of years(6)the invention of the plough.The _(7)_gifts of science have made modern life(8)and comfortable.But science has(9)_the same time created new problems.One of these,which may become _(10)_in the years to come, is the ”jet lag.”
1) A) if B) Though C) Unless D) in spite of
2) A) men B) people C) man D) human
3) A) the B) a C) that D) some
4) A) even B) have C) had D) has
5) A) and B) or C) either D) neither
6) A) from B) for C) since D) at
7) A) marvellous B) costly C) Inexpensive D) valueless
8) A) dull B) exciting C) aimless D) aim
9) A) at B) in C) within D) since
10) A) bad B) worse C) good D) worst
Ancestors and dead relations were believed to punish their living (1) for sins,both of commission and_(2).The ancestors were the guardians of _(3)_society’s morality and they chastised those _(4)_failed in their duty.The explanation _(5)_heard was”He told lies about the _(6)_and the ancestors killed him”,or _(7)_uncle’s ghost killed him because he(8)to look after his children or his(9)_felt disgraced by his conduct _(10)_killed him.
1) A) people B) descendants C) acquaintances D) friends
2) A) remission B) permission C) omission D) mission
3) A) a B) the C) any D) some
4) A) which B) what C) have D) who
5) A) often B) always C) inevitably D) seldom
6) A) riches B) property C) wealth D) land
7) A) the B) that C) his D) their
8) A) failed B) rejected C) tried D) objected
9) A) friends B) ancestors C) tribesmen D) someone
10) A) enemies B) someone C) ghosts D) they
Everyone considers food,shelter,clothing and medical care to be the basic needs for a comfortable living.Even the government accepts this and (1)_to provide all these.But very(2)people know that energy required for _(3)_and heating is also one of _(4)_basic needs.We are all aware _(5)_our country has achieved self sufficiency in _(6)_but we have to go a _(7) way yet in order to achieve (8)_in the field of energy.Man _(9)_alays been in search of more(10)_in order to free himself from the burden of manual labour.He has invented machines to do his work.
1) A) lies B) loves C) hates D) promises
2) A) little B) some C) few D) any
3) A) cooking B) living C) eating D) slept
4) A) their B) such C) a D) our
5) A) this B) that C) of D) in
6) A) food B) resources C) weapons D) heating
7) A) some B) all C) long D) hard
8) A) pleasure B) joy C) much D) self sufficiency
9) A) have B) had C) has D) was
10) A) machines B) oil C) heat D) labour
|Close test 1|
|Close Test 2|
|Close test 3|
|Close test 4|
|Close test 5|
For More Articles You Can Visit On Below Links :
Now Get All Notifications And Updates In Your E-mail Account Just Enter Your E-mail Address Below And Verify Your Account To Get More Updates :